Sunday 15 April 2018

Cornish Gingerbread

I decided yesterday to make some gingerbread with my mum's old recipe which was also used by my Gran. I frequently remember helping mum roll out the individual balls for the biscuits or making a gingerbread man with a balls of dough for the head and body and sausage shapes for the limbs.
The ingredients are as follows:-


I actually reduced the sugar to 3 oz and they were perfectly sweet enough. My mum's recipe gives no method but I mixed the dry ingredients together and rubbed in the fat, added the sugar and then added the warmed syrup.


The mixture comes together easily 


The balls are laid out on a baking tray. I now use silicone sheets in all my baking trays which are washable and can be reused. You can buy a roll from Lakeland and cut it to the size of your tins.


Within 15 to 18 minutes you will have gingerbread biscuits like this.


Once they had cooled slightly and began to harden I popped them on a cooling rack to cool. It was not long before there was a gap where passing members of the family had been tempted to have a taster.


Farmer Husband was brave enough to suggest that they were more 'gingery' than those his mum used to make (he likes to live dangerously). I was ready with a suitable reply that it was he didn't have Cornish taste buds!
Should you be interested and are thinking of your waistline my slimming app calculated that made into 28 biscuits each one has 63 calories so not too bad if you want to give yourself an occasional treat. 

2 comments:

  1. I could definitely be tempted to try these - what's not to like about biscuits that don't require rolling and cutting out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy - cookies in any form, almost any flavour, always a treat.

    ReplyDelete