Friday 26 October 2018

The Chocolate Connection

The walk with my walking group this month was along a stretch of the River Avon close to Keynsham. This small town between Bath and Bristol is probably best known for being the home of the Sommerdale Cadburys / Frys factory. It was relocated here from the Frys factory in central Bristol and was originally the factory where such products as Fry's Turkish Delight were made and then in time it was completely taken over by Cadbury. The red building is an iconic landmark that can be seen from a great distance.


A takeover by Kraft resulted in the factory being closed much to the dismay of many local people. The site had been a big part of many people's lives with extensive social facilities situated around the factory originally set up by the Quaker owners.
It has now been redeveloped as luxury housing and a retirement village called The Cadbury Quarter.


Our walk took us along the opposite river bank but we also caught glimpses several times during the walk.


Our walk then took us through the village of Hanham skirting the entrance to Hanham Court which has gardens that are open periodically to the public.


The boundary of the gardens incorporates an old tythe barn. 


I surprisingly didn't recognise this despite having visited a few years ago. It was only when I looked at my photos that I realised where we had been.


Our route then took us up onto a nearby hill which gave us a 360 panoramic view including looking back down to the roof of Hanham court.


Another notable building we passed was the old mill at Willsbridge.


It was then back along the river in the Autumn sunshine.



We then finally met up with a short stretch of canal which had a number of narrow boats along it before heading to the pub for lunch.


Another lovely walk completed.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely indeed. This looks like a beautiful and very interesting route. I know Keynsham well, having had a friend who lived there. She promised many a time to take me to the Cadbury factory, but it never happened. Last time I saw it was on taking a wrong turning en route to her place. It had just closed then, and I recall being very sorry it was gone. A promise broken by Kraft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed a very cruel move by Kraft as far as local people are concerned. I will make you jealous by telling you I went on a tour once! I lick my lips at the memory!

      Delete
  2. Every time you post one of these lovely walks, I wish I had a walking group to call my own! Although, I must admit, you would still have an advantage in all the historical sites in your area.

    ReplyDelete