Wednesday 5 December 2018

5 in 5 : A Dull Day in the City

The fifth of each month is 5 in 5 day. This is when we join Sandie at Itchifingers with her meme where you take as many photos as you wish in 5 minutes and then choose 5 of them.
 I had to make a trip into central Bristol for a check up at the eye hospital. I travelled in and out from the park and ride on the new metro bus. A colossal amount of money has been spent on the route for this bus and this was my first experience of it. You have to get your ticket before you board from a machine that takes no cash. I'm usually fairly adept at such things but couldn't fathom out what ticket I needed without some help from the lady behind me in the queue. Then more help was needed to get my contactless card the correct way round....
Anyway the journey was pretty uneventful apart from the long route the bus takes to get just down the road. I was also a little perturbed at how high the fly over bridge seemed from upstairs on the bus then I found myself ducking at the proximity of the girders above my head as we crossed the river bridge!
 Bristol initially seemed very drab on a dull winter's day as I wandered through Broadmead shopping centre. Then I came across some Christmas cheer.
Looking through one of the passage ways the Christmas lights were inviting and uplifting. This passage leads to John Wesley's chapel and the New Room which is in fact one of the oldest buildings around! The new room was built in 1739 and is the oldest Methodist chapel in the world. 


There is a statue of John Wesley on his horse in the forecourt. He was of course the founder of the Methodist movement and he and his brother Charles spent a lot of time in Bristol. Part of the building is now a museum and his horse's stable can be seen before you enter.


Looking back the other way the hustle and bustle of modern life is just visible through the archway.


Back on the shopping mall just outside the Christmas market stalls are set up ready for the day.


They too give a brightness and a feeling of cheer to the dull day.





5 comments:

  1. That's a charming picture of the horse stable! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the chapel still in use as a chapel or is it now a museum? It looks worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a chapel that is still in use as well as the museum. I visited some years ago on an Open Doors day. A friend has subsequently told me that the cafe is very good and that the museum has been extended.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely place to visit. I like that they put a horse statue in the stable ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may have been a dull day, but your photos are definitely not dull! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete