Monday 3 December 2018

A 15th Century Legacy

Last Friday I went on my walk with my walking group from a village in Wiltshire called Langley Burrell. Our route took us along a road which has a long history. A local land owner Maud Heath had left a legacy on her death in 1474 for a cobbled causeway to be built for 4.5 miles from the village of Bremhill to Chippenham market in order to improve the walk for villagers taking their goods to market. The trust from this legacy then built a bridge of 64 arches in 1811 to cross the River Avon and the surrounding flood plains. This walkway is still in use.


It still provides a dry walkway when the road floods in wet weather. 


There is also a sundial at the side of the road in her memory.


The day was too dull to tell the time.


A lady with far reaching foresight.

3 comments:

  1. What a legacy! I'd like to walk that stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bridge is just gorgeous! What a legacy to leave for succeeding generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea where this is but should obviously find out.

    I think with your walks and photos you should be ready to write a book soon!

    ReplyDelete