Monday 3 August 2020

Pink Rules!

I always enjoy looking around other people’s gardens. The National Garden Scheme is great for this. I had bought the local schedule really early this year and had several gardens that I wanted to visit pencilled in on my calendar. Alas it was not to be as doing anything like that was totally off limits during lockdown. I was therefore pleased when they were allowed to reopen. 
Yesterday we visited a garden about 5 miles from home. We had to book online as is the case for a lot of events at the moment. We took my mum along as she always enjoys a good garden. It was only when I got home that I realised how much pink I had photographed including this perfect dahlia bloom.


There were a lot of different pink and red dahlias some of them in this border by the fence. We have a good number of dahlias but it did make me realise some of the varieties that I must look out for to plant next year.


The garden is on the top of a hill and is consequently potentially very windswept. This is overcome by the planting of several hedges turning the garden into ‘rooms’. When I say hedges, I mean HEDGES, 10 feet tall yew hedges.



I probably didn’t take as many photos as I would like to. It’s always a bit awkward in someone’s private garden. There a large lovely greenhouse and this lily was in a tank in there. 


This I believe to be a Hemerocallis or daylily. I have recently purchased a ruby colour one so I hope to have some photos to show you soon.


There was something of interest in every nook and cranny. Yes there is even a bit of pink here! 


She had various different seats, benches and areas of relaxation including shady hideaways, a BBQ area and a sun trap. One of these areas with two sun loungers had a fire pit and this decorative idea. Such a beautiful way to show flower heads off in their full glory.


You can just see my mum disappearing around the corner here after tackling this little bridge with her walker.


Not everything was pink. There were rooms of white , blue and this vibrant area of oranges and yellows.



We came home with great admiration for her garden but also with Shepherds Hut envy. The lady said she often spends time down there with her grandchildren. She also planned to spend today relaxing in there and reading. I think she certainly deserved it after all the work she must have done getting the garden ready for visitors.


What a good way this would be to have visitors to stay at the present time but keeping them out of your house! Food for thought.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realise that NGS had restarted. I had picked some to see so I need to check if those particular ones are still opening to visitors this year.

    This garden looks amazing. I'm always in awe of the amount of work it must take to maintain some of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous garden! I love garden "rooms" and this one has obviously had a lot of love and labor put into it.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I've never seen such a gorgeous lily, and your photo of the dahlia is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first shot and the blue bowl of flowertops both made me sigh in wonder. So pretty. And that little getaway in the last shot would be calling my name too!

    ReplyDelete