Thursday 27 August 2020

Tomato Relish : The Recipe

 I don’t have to go far at the moment to find some tomatoes. The greenhouse is only a stone’s throw from our back door.


There are definitely enough tomatoes.


Like most fruit and vegetables they taste so much better straight off the vine and there is nothing quite like that scent.


There are of course many different recipes that include tomatoes.


Today I shall concentrate on just one.



I have posted about Tomato Relish before which you can find here but haven’t actually posted the recipe. This is a great family favourite. I always have some in the cupboard and my sister in law makes gallons of it. It is in fact a recipe she gave me many years ago.

Tomato Relish 

3 and a half pounds ripe tomatoes skinned.
2 pounds onions chopped finely.
3 and a half ounces demerara sugar.
2 and a half pounds sugar.
1 ounce ginger.
Quarter ounce chilli powder.
1 pint malt vinegar.

1. Chop tomatoes and place all ingredients except vinegar in a pan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Cook gently over a low heat for an hour to a thick consistency stirring occasionally.
2. Add vinegar, cook for another 10 minutes (the book says) but we keep cooking for at least 40 minutes until thickish.
3.Pour into sterilised jars and cover with vinegar proof lids.

Good luck!




12 comments:

  1. Pooh! If G's plants are still laden at the weekend, I'll definitely see if I can give this a try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now see "Oooh" got auto-corrected to Pooh. Does Winnie live in your greenhouse, easy access to the hives?

      Delete
    2. Well I haven’t seen him in there. I’ll keep an eye out

      Delete
    3. Any sign? He wasn't in G's greenhouse, I checked.
      I have enough toms for a half batch. 😊 I'll report back!
      Do you blanche the fruits to remove skins, or just pare them raw?

      Delete
    4. Definitely no signs here. Yes blanch them

      Delete
  2. Oh thank you for posting this! I had to look up demerara sugar. I will have to try this. I am also going to be making orchard fruit chili sauce. Perhaps I'll post about that and provide that recipe. I'm very envious of your green house. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. There really is something lovely about picking something fresh from the garden and eating it straight away - the flavour just seems more intense.
    That sounds like a delicious recipe and a great way of using up a glut of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to have a greenhouse of your own & so close. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe sounds really good. I, too, had to look up demerara sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. Tomorrow is the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOOOOOORRY - I have another question: what type of ginger do you favour? I tried to avoid pestering you again by doing a search but I can't seem to find a similar recipe.

      Delete
    2. Normal ground ginger out of a pot. I always wonder myself what it should be but that seems to work fine.

      Delete