Thursday 12 March 2015

Mothering Buns

When a friend of mine who lives in Bristol asked on facebook whether anyone had seen a bakers with Mothering Buns for sale I was curious. I had never heard of such a thing! It is apparently a Bristol tradition on the Saturday before Mothering Sunday. When she posted a recipe on my timeline the challenge was on! Never mind cleaning up my daughter's room! So out came the ingredients.


And the mixing began.


A little trick I learnt on a Bread making day was to save the disposable shower caps from hotels to put over the dough while it is rising.


Within an hour or so I had some buns ready for the oven.



They are supposed to be covered with icing and hundreds and thousands but not having any in the cupboard pearl shimmer balls had to do.





They went down well. You will be pleased to know I also found time to clean and reorganise my daughter's room ready for her new bed.





4 comments:

  1. They look really good. Maybe just a little bit of raspberry jam in the middle would have been nice?? Without the icing, would they be similar to the splits that Gran used to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a shame they are not made everywhere - they look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! they look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maggie, I can't find your e-mail address, would you e-mail me with it? thanks x

    ReplyDelete