Wednesday 25 March 2015

Pairs Then and Now

My subject for Helena's Pairs is not what I had originally intended. I was swayed by a post that my sister-in-law put on facebook this morning.
Today is Lady Day (Feast of the Annunciation).This was traditionally the day that landowners started and ended tenancy agreements and "the time of entry" of farmers to vacant farms. It is 90 years today since my husband's family came to our farm. This picture must have been taken a little after that because the little chap on his mother's knee is Brian's dad. He was born here soon after they arrived. The family have subsequently gone on to purchase the farm and increase its size.


I have chosen in contrast a modern day picture of the ground being prepared for planting potatoes taken this week. I wonder what that generation would make of the many changes over those years? Tractors have not only come into use but have changed dramatically as has all machinery. The size of the fields are much greater. This particular field used to be several smaller ones until the hedges were removed many years ago.


 Domestic life must also have changed. Brian's granny rarely left the farm. Her groceries were delivered and I suspect her life was one of continuous chores. Sadly nobody in this picture is now here to tell their tales. The last of the brothers died a few years ago.


8 comments:

  1. From what I know of farming the hours of labor haven't changed dramatically even though the equipment is vastly improved. It's a hard life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Karen you are right it is a hard life and with mechanisation the work does not always finish at dusk as it would have done in the past.

      Delete
  2. Was confused for a moment as I misread the title as 'Paris then and now'!
    I love the old family picture, such family likenesses and good to see the young faces of the two uncles that I only remember as rather older gentlemen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful to have the old family photo on your farm and such a contrast with the big tractor

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be fascinating to be able to document such deep roots in one place

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there are some things that the family would recognise if they could come out of the photo.

    ReplyDelete