Friday 9 February 2018

Making Pancakes

I still have quite a few photos left to find for the Winter Photography Scavenger Hunt. One that I have been giving some thought to is No. 3 Domestic Trivia.  I shall be interested to see how other people portray this one.
So how about a bit of pancake making?
Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day is next Tuesday. I am sure everyone is aware that it's date moves each year in relation to when Easter is. It's a day of feasting before the beginning of Lent. Our church always holds a pancake lunch. We serve savoury and sweet fillings and a variety of salads to accompany the savoury ones. I have quite a few items to prepare for this including a vegetarian savoury filling for which I think I am going to do Sweet and Sour vegetables and a potato salad (I think I can find a few potatoes!).  I also have promised to make 24 pancakes and as I shall be busy Monday I decided to make them in advance and freeze them.
I had to smile when I got the recipe out because like many of my recipes it has a few samples from previous occasions splashed on the page. 


It also has a few calculations of different quantities including those in blue ink which date back to when my niece used to come to stay as a schoolgirl and is now a mum herself. This time I used the quantities on the left which needs a lot of ingredients. A good opportunity to use up a few dented eggs!




I'm sure you all know how to make pancakes which is really the same as making Yorkshire Puddings. I rather enjoy that mixing in stage.


I did resort to the electric whisk.


I completely forgot to capture the cooking stage but I am sure you can imagine it took a while. I eventually had two piles like this ready to freeze.


I did save a couple for the farmer and farmer daughter to sample. It's traditional around here to have pancakes if it snows and to pop a bit of snow in the mix. I think you would want to choose your snow sample pretty carefully! I am yet to try that. However these disappeared pretty quickly without the addition of snow!



3 comments:

  1. Love pancakes - I wish I'd known you had them on the menu! I am very curious about that snow tradition... What on Earth..!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancake lunch is on Tuesday so come along! Not far to come!
      Yes very odd tradition. I did wonder if it was to help cool it but you would need a lot of snow! However some good old carbs and hot chocolate would be just the ticket after a morning tobogganing!

      Delete
  2. Snow? Real snow? Or icing sugar? They look good - sorry I am going to miss the lunch this year - Easter is coming just too early!

    ReplyDelete