Wednesday 23 August 2017

Tomato Relish

This year we have a fine crop of tomatoes with plenty to spare.


Older daughter kept  asking me when was I going to make some tomato relish. Yesterday she declared that she would have a go at making some. The thought of her making more mess than I do, sterilising jars in the microwave and relish all over the kitchen was enough to spur me on!
So yesterday I set to in the kitchen making a double batch.
Step one was to remove the peels in hot water.


Then lots of chopping.



It needs quite a few onions.


So there was a lot more chopping. I never suffer much from onions affecting my eyes. I put this down to wearing contact lenses. Both the girls suffer badly and have tried all the tricks in the book from holding a silver spoon in their mouth to wearing goggles! On this occasion the farmer brought in a tractor rep for a cup of tea while I was onion chopping. The poor chap left wiping his eyes! 
Soon the onions, tomatoes, sugar (Demerara and granulated), chilli and ginger were in the pan ready to cook.



So quite sometime later the vinegar was added and cooked for another 40 minutes (that's the smelly bit).
Eventually I had lots of jars like this which should keep us going for a while!



6 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I made tomato jam for the first time this year, and am quite taken with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very tasty. I've made my own jams but never had a go at relishes or chutneys - maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy. I don't think I have ever had tomato relish (or tomato jam). I've heard that if you cut the bottom off the onion first, it reduces the tear production. I don't often tear up cutting onions, but when I do or the burning; so I think it's the type of onion that affects me, red ones are the worse (for me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. I don't often cut that many onions but I think even wearing glssses helps (perhaps the girls could try swim goggles) and eating a cube of bread - but lots of onions like that might need a lot of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-reading your post I see they have tried goggles so it will have to be the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may have resorted to chopping all those onions in a food processor! Sometimes I can chop onions with no problems at all, other times my eyes are streaming from the moment I cut through that first layer of skin!

    ReplyDelete