Saturday 18 April 2020

Bluebells Emerging

Who would have thought that after all the rain we had all winter we would be wanting some more? The warm dry spell we have been having has given the opportunity to get a lot of field work done including planting Spring barley and the seed potatoes. The ground had become very dry and those crops needed a good soaking to start growing. The last 48 hours of rain have been perfect and we will now be happy with some more sunshine!
Yesterday I snatched a walk between showers and decided to head for the bluebell wood. All was very fresh and moist in the woods. I wish you could hear the birds singing against a background of quiet. We normally have a fairly constant noise of airplanes from the airport but all is currently silent which is one benefit of the current situation.


You can see that a lot of the wood is becoming dominated by wild garlic which is pretty in itself but I would rather have bluebells. Poppy as always was my companion. I don't let her off her lead in the woods because she gets rather excited by all the smells and tends to run further away from me than I like. I don't approve of her chasing deer which can be hiding amongst the trees.


I found a few bluebells out as I climbed out of the wood. I shall have to make another trip here.



.


There's a few violets too. Such a gorgeous colour and so delicate too.


I will bring you back for another visit soon.

2 comments:

  1. I do love a bluebell wood, thank you for sharing yours as our nearest one is a drive away and I can't really justify the journey there as 'essential'! So it is lovely to those near to you. I do hope your family are keeping safe, it's an especially anxious time for those with family in the nursing profession. We are also trying to eat as many of our meals outside in the sun, it's nice to have something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a bluebell wood, please take us back there for the full viewing.

    ReplyDelete