Tuesday 14 April 2020

Tulip Time

I particularly enjoy tulip time. I love daffodils but enjoy the variety of colours and shapes of tulip flowers. We normally buy quite a few new bulbs each year to go in various containers. This is always one of my favourite shows. This old trough is situated in our yard as you drive in.


I love the mix of the tulips and the wallflowers against the contrast of the wall.


Last summer we spent a day at the Dorset Steam Fair. This may seem a bizarre place to buy bulbs but there was a stall there with the most amazing array of different bulbs. We bought quite a few which luckily the lady looked after for us until we were ready to go home. She was based in Wimbourne and I would definitely search her out if I visited the fair again.
We consequently have quite a range.


I am quite a fan of these double ones.


Another great thing about tulips is how they change throughout the day. They open up in the bright sunshine and then close as the light fades.













Tulips don't seem to naturalise as easily as daffodils with the exception of some of the more common varieties. These red ones amongst the daffs come back every year.


Which is your favourite?


5 comments:

  1. I'm not keen on the doubles, and love the flowers which have long thin petals. I've some beautiful purple ones for the 1st time this spring. I can't grow them in our heavy clay, so I have pots around our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. We always had daffodils at home when I was growing up, so they make me nostalgic. Unfortunately around here tulips become deer food, so we've stopped trying. Well, I should say my Father-in-law stopped trying back in the day, bless his soul.

    And to answer your question, purples are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah such a delightful post today - thanks for sharing those gorgeous flowers with us. I like pink tulips & one of my favourite spring combo is pink & yellow tulips, but then red & yellow are so cheerful ... like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the red ones best but like the purple double ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love them too, but I have to make do with tulips from the grocery store. The deer eat ours, so we've given up planting them. Our daffodils are gorgeous, though, and I really appreciate their stamina. They are blooming proudly in our front yard---covered with snow tonight. The snow won't last long, but we had to cover our hydrangeas which had already started to bud. I am so ready for warm weather!

    ReplyDelete