Friday 8 January 2016

From Snowdrops to the Exotic

On a visit to Oxford yesterday we headed into the University Botanic Gardens. It was rather early for a lot of the plants but there are already signs of new growth. These Iris were just inside the gate.


It was pretty chilly in a lot of the garden.


but one sheltered corner was an ideal spot for early snowdrops.



We then wandered into the glasshouses for a bit of a warm up and a view of the more exotic.


I did feel I had wandered into the set of a Midsomer Murders episode.
Watch out flies! I could do with this plant in my conservatory in the summer.


Reindeer antlers?


There was a delicious range of very tempting citrus fruit.


I shall be putting these gardens on my list of places to return to.







5 comments:

  1. Great photos as always. Love the antler plant! On the subject of our v early spring, my neighbour has an outdoor Christmas tree and it's still bedecked with baubles and tinsel - well, today I noticed it is surrounded by daffs in bloom. Must get a pic of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you got a pic of that tree this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Loved the tour - wonderful to see flowers already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those photos of all the snowdrops are making me excited to see those that I planted last Autumn, although I still think it will be several months for us. I do worry about crops getting seasonal confusion - will it make food prices soar even more?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! snowdrops, hooray! spring is on its way.

    ReplyDelete