Friday 19 June 2015

The First Flower

The conservatory has been very congested with all the bedding plants growing in there. They are now all outside and it is nice to have the space back to use. We have several flowering plants growing in it. We have just had our first Morning Glory flower (Impomoea). I grow these from seed each year. The flowers only last for one day so it is fun to look each day to see how many blooms there are.


Most of the plants have a story behind them. This trailing geranium is from a cutting I took from a friend's plant last summer. When I look at it I think of the lovely weekend I had with old friends. I don't think she knew I snipped a bit!



Then this last flower has very special memories. My gran gave me the original pant many years ago. She died 17 years ago. I still have the one she gave me but this is a newish cutting. It is a Hoya and has pink sticky scented flowers. She had one in the window of her front room.




Do you have stories behind your plants?






6 comments:

  1. What an unusual flower - don't think I have ever seen a hoya before. I also enjoy being custodian to other people's plants/cuttings and thinking of them when they bloom. Well done for nicking that beautiful geranium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. Gran's hoya was all looped around itself I remember, must have been a very old plant. They are so pretty but strangely sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny to see morning glory being cultivated because it is a weed in NZ - it grew all over a dead tree at the end of my garden in Auckland - my Mum carefully cultivates them too and they always make me smile and think about how subjective 'weed' is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures. Stories behind plants? Don't get my Mum started on the Great Aspidistra Fiasco..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The forsythia growing at the bottom of my garden is "Daddy's tree" - my dad cut took a cutting for me and when I moved I brought it with me. My daughter has asked me to grow a cutting for her. Many of the flowers in my garden were given to me by my Aunt - which came to light when I was showing my daughter the flowers last week - I kept saying Auntie gave me this one and that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Envious of your Morning Glory - I have no luck in growing either from seed or from purchased plant - there must be a secret about success in growing them. Your geranium is such a pretty 2 tone colour, a lovely memory attached and your Gran's Hoya - is florally abundant, she is, I am sure, smiling that you have kept the plant & memory. Are the sticky flowers for catching insects or is it nectar for birds/butterflies? ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete