Tuesday 5 June 2018

5 in 5 : Sheep Shearing

Today I am joining Sandie at Itchifingers with her 5 in 5. The idea is that for the 5th of the month you take as many photos as you can in 5 minutes and then chose 5 of them. I have chosen an event in the farming calendar, shearing the sheep.
 When I was at school and college I was a great fan of Thomas Hardy novels. Alongside the rather morbid plots there were brilliant descriptive pictures of many farming activities. Back then shearing was a whole day event with hand shears and it is more than likely that sheep from different farms would be brought to one place. There would be feasting and drinking alongside it once the work was done. Nowadays the shearers rush from farm to farm carting their machinery with them. We were the last stop of the day so some Easter biscuits and cans of cider went down well when they were finished.
 They didn't seem to mind me getting out my camera so here are my 5 in 5.

1. One of the ewes waits in the queue.


2. The ewes are pushed up the race ready to be sheared.

3. The hard work of shearing continues. Not the most dignified position for the sheep. The lad on the right is a New Zealander over here for the season.

4. The fleeces are packed to be sent off to the wool marketing board.

6. The rather bald ewes go in search of their lambs.

Another job is completed for this year.

4 comments:

  1. It is fascinating to watch the speed of sheep shearers. We went to the sheep fair in Masham and was amazed by the demonstration. The lambs were probably pleased to see their mums back and you, for another job ticked off the farming calendar. Thank you for sharing these photos and taking part in this months challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the final picture with the sheared sheep mixed in with lovely brown chickens! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Jenn, I like the last photo, I wonder what they chuckle to the sheep. Only once have I been around sheep being sheared & it's quite noisy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to be present for a day of sheep shearing, but your photos are probably as close as I'm likely to get.

    ReplyDelete