Monday 11 June 2018

A Second Visit in a Week

When the farmer joined us in Cornwall we told him what a lovely cream tea we had the day before. It was no great surprise when he wanted to try one for himself. So on Saturday morning before returning home the farmer and I headed to Bedruthan Steps.
The cafe is in the National Trust car park which is just up the coast slightly at Carnewas Headland from where it is a short walk to the cliff top. We were too early for the cafe although there was a mouthwatering temptation in the window.


It was only when I looked at this photo again that I realised I had truly snapped An unexpected reflection for No. 7 of the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt.
While we waited for opening time we headed off for a walk. It was glorious morning which was reflected in the aquamarine colour of the sea.


This bit of coastline has been a popular tourist attraction since Victorian times. It's name originates from the idea that the rocks or stacks are stepping stones for the legendary giant Bedruthan.


When we approached the top we could not resist going down to the beach. Access is via a flight of steep narrow steps. There is a gate at the top to prevent anyone descending when the conditions are unsuitable.


There are 120 steps and the last few are deep and slippery from the sea water.


The view changes as you descend.


The farmer was quicker and more confident to descend than me!


There were also notices at the top giving the times of high and low tide as the beach is completely covered by high tide and it is easy to get stuck on the further beach.


We had time for a bit of a wander and a quick paddle (well I did anyway).

The beach is notoriously dangerous for swimming with warning signs at the top. There are undercurrents that can easily drag out. Not everyone attends to these warnings. One lady was taking a child and herself into the sea with a mini inflatable. 


It may look fairly calm but the waves can be deceiving.



We soon retreated towards the steps.


I always find it a good move when climbing up to stop for the odd picture... And get my breath back!


The tide was already coming back in.


Then it was back to the cafe for coffee and his cream tea. I think the loading the scone the 'Devon way' was mainly to wind me up!




2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful spot is worth a second, third, tenth visit. I like the Devon way & you can thank my father's DNA for that (col).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t often risk eating cream (allergies!) but when I do it has to be the Cornish way. Something makes me think the Farmer is a bit of a rebel 😂

    ReplyDelete