Friday 29 June 2018

Ringing the Bells : A SPSH Link Up

Today is the first link up for the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt led by Mary Lou. Pop over to her blog here to see who else is joining in. I have decided to just explore one prompt today but if you look back through my recent posts you will come across quite a few finds. So today it is No. 12 Bell(s). I actually have found quite a few on my wanders.
Bells can have different purposes. Some are to make a pleasant musical sound, others are to tell people you are there and some are indeed to summon you. Others are purely decorative.The first ones we came across were at The Royal Cornwall Show. They were a tower of miniature church bells.


They were housed in a small tower and were to encourage people to have a go at bell ringing.The principles are much the same as a full sized bell but in a more manageable size. It means that even children can have a go.


We were encouraged to have a go by a very patient Tower Captain.It was soon evident that I was hopeless, not helped by Farmer Husband chipping in with instructions. I therefore suggested that he should have a go. It was soon obvious that he was no better than me!


Our trips around various old houses revealed quite a few bells. These next ones hang in the kitchen at Godolphin House to alert the servants when the master or mistress of the house require them.


Lanhydrock House had a very sophisticated servant call system.


Indicators in the servants quarters revealed who was ringing. Some staff had responsibility for just a few bells.



Others had more.


There were clear instructions for callers at the kitchens on how to summon different staff.


Lanhydrock also had a telephone system with telephones in several of the main parts of the house.


Not technically a bell but a very efficient way of calling everyone for meals or perhaps alerting to a fire is this gong.


 There was a serious fire at Lanhydrock in 1881 so I suspect this bell may be part of an alarm system or another telephone. Any suggestions?


Our visit to Derbyshire revealed more finds. The B & B where we stayed had a bell outside.


As well as a bell inside.


Another house that we visited called Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire had a sizeable door bell.

Perhaps the most spectacular is the art installation in the central courtyard of Chatsworth House which really speaks for itself.



Last but not least I mustn't forget our own bell at our front door which alerts us to any callers and customers and is a great favourite with children.


                                                       Which is your favourite?

8 comments:

  1. What a brilliant selection but I think your own front door bell has to be the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very impressive collection of bell photos. My guess for the #10 the flat gold bell is it's the dinner gong, asking everyone in the house that it's time to change for dinner (Downton Abby). My favourite has to be the last one of the horse head collar bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it probably is a dinner gong but as I said having had a drastic fire there they may have doubled up as a fire alarm.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many bells (and I haven't even taken a photo of one!) I like the three small servants' bells particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an impressive collection of bell photos! I'm excited to start looking for bells now as I haven't captured that one for the hunt.
    I really like them all, but my favorite is the old telephone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an amazing collection! My favorite is the bell outside the B&B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous selection of bells. I'll be happy with one by the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete