Monday 10 June 2019

A Rogue Visitor

I have fed the birds for many years in the cherry tree that I can see from my kitchen window. I know that a lot of people have trouble with a particular cheeky visitor eating the bird food and damaging the feeders. I have been lucky up till now but not this year.


I do agree that the grey squirrel does look rather cute but they are referred to as tree rats for a good reason. They have pushed out our native red squirrel, they destroy young trees, eat bird's eggs and generally make a nuisance of themselves. He has polished off all these sunflowers and broken the feeder.


The war is on ! I shall be looking at ways of deterring him!

4 comments:

  1. We've had to move our bird feeders away from any trees, and added a baffle to the big feeder to keep the squirrels away. It's generally been quite successful, and this year we have a good array of different birds visiting the feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, we live in a town and can't get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Location, location, location is key for our feeders & like Karen we added a squirrel proof element to the feeders. Squirrels also have an excellent telephone line - they tell two friends who tell two friends & soon you will have many "dinner" guests. Tree rats indeed & destructive. It will be a long war I fear ... but great photos of the little bugger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, good pics. Can't remember whether I have already told you this, but read recently that a contraceptive is in development. They reckon still 4 or 5 years away but when the time comes, ingesting will render both male and female infertile for six years. Should help no end. I REALLY can't wait. Dislike them more and more - I fear there will be no home-grown fruit or veg for me while the thieving critters are around! And they are destroying my flowers to boot!

    ReplyDelete