Thursday 6 June 2019

Take Three Thursday: A Royal Treat

Thursday is here again and that means that it is time to join Mary Lou with her Take Three Thursday where we post three photos of something from the week which follows a theme. I have had a very special treat this week. It was a gift from my sister for my birthday last November. It was a day out and these two signs greeted us as we entered. There are a couple of clues to where we were going. The owner is certainly of "the old school " as the left sign suggests. He is also a keen follower of the organic way.


Yes it was a visit to Highgrove which as the plaque on the wall tells you is the home of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. This is actually my second visit but it certainly stands up to more than one trip. What has changed since I last came was that photos are now allowed in the visitor areas prior to and after visiting the gardens. Photography is still strictly not allowed in the gardens themselves. My visit was at a different time of year so a lot of the gardens looked quite different. The meadow flowers were particularly delightful. 


The tour takes two hours. Our guide was very informative with a strong knowledge of many of the flowers and trees. Prince Charles' influence on the design and maintenance of the gardens is very strong. Certain parts reflect his interests and passions. The belief in organic methods is very evident. 
My sister had given me a champagne tea tour which as well as the delicious tea which we enjoyed in The Orchard Room afterwards means that the group size is smaller. There is the opportunity to have your photo taken by a professional photographer with Highgrove House as a backdrop. Ther is also a departing gift of a glass candle holder.
The champagne tea was definitely a good way to finish the tour with as you can see a good 'spread'. We were rather taken with the china which is based on a tea service at Clarence House. It is for sale in the shop but at near on £30 for a cup and saucer we decided to go for a couple of plants and a tea towel to purchase!
All proceeds go to his own charity The Princes Trust.


Should you ever get the chance I would heartily recommend a visit to this interesting and lovely place.



3 comments:

  1. OH - I say with squeals of absolute envy. What a wonderful treat. Everything I've read about the gardens & farm at Highgrove are admirable. Very nice china set. Thanks for joining in with Take Three Thursday Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely present from your sister. The afternoon tea looks wonderful and I too like the tea service, but not at those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a royal treat! That tea looks absolutely scrumptious, and I know I would love a tour of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete