Sunday 23 June 2019

Lots of Stones and More


I am always on the lookout for photos for The Summer Photography Scavenger Hunt. One of the photos this time is No. 10 Something made of Stone. The breadth of this is pretty wide and I have already posted a few possibilities. I have been out and about Friday and Saturday which has given me a chance to find a few possibilities. 
Our walk on Friday was mainly around the farm where one of my friends grew up. Hidden in the middle of a copse was this collection of stones. They are know as The Devil's Bed and Bolster. Despite examining them from every angle we couldn't actually work out the significance of the name. The stones are apparently the remains of a Long Barrow so a burial chamber from 3400 to 2400 BC. It is hard to believe they have been there for that long period of time and what significance they would have had.



While still on the burial theme these next two are in the churchyard in Wrington village in North Somerset and are curiously part of graves. This sun dial suggests the passing of time. 





This is further suggested by the dial itself. It would of course also be a possibility for No. 1 An Outdoor Clock.




This grave includes a bird bath! I guess the occupant was a bird lover.




My reason for visiting Wrington was because they had an open gardens day. We spent a very pleasant time strolling around the village visiting a variety of different gardens. I took very few photos to respect the people's privacy of their property. This garden however was an exception. The owner who is a local vet is also a sculptor and his work is on show in his garden. They were all made from a variety of different types of stone.
Here are a few of them.







Including a possibility for No. 11 A Fish.



I guess this seahorse may also count as a fish. I was rathe taken with the seals.





This amusing sculpture was hidden behind the shed it was well camouflaged but showed a certain sense of humour!


This last rather curious sculpture again made of stone was in another garden. Any suggestions as to what it's intended meaning might be?













4 comments:

  1. What a great collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the group of cats but have no idea about intended meaning of the last one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do like the clowder of cat statues. Some truly great finds on your walk about. Maybe the birdbath at the grave site is to ensure at least some visitors ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I liked the clowder of cats also, and am thankful to Patio Postcards for the education. I had not heard that term before. It looks like it was a wonderful day for strolling.

    ReplyDelete