Saturday 12 September 2020

Listening to the Expert

 I am very proud of my Agapanthus plant that I have had for some years now. I would think at least 10 years. I bought it as a small bulb in Lidl and planted it in the garden. Two years later it was still there but no flowers so I moved it into a pot. It has thrived there flowering every year and has already been repotted once. It of course moved across to our new garden with us.


It flowered as usual back in July although I suspect there were slightly fewer flowers than some years.




It certainly brightens up the corner of our house but I am quiet aware that my efforts are negligible in comparison to what we saw in New Zealand where Agapanthus is virtually a rampant weed!



However I digress! The point I am in a dilemma over is the seed heads. I like to see the seed heads dangling and I don’t usually cut them off until the Autumn 



The advice on Gardeners’ World last night from Monty Don was to cut the seed heads off to put the goodness back into the bulb (which I always do with Spring bulbs). Consequently Farmer Husband is telling me to cut them off today, 
The jury is out on that one. Let’s see who wins the day. Meanwhile Poppy is apparently having her nose tickled by this one.







8 comments:

  1. Love your photo with the raindrops, perfect. I have always left mine on for the birds, I have 2 clumps, so I am cutting one and not the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pretty purple! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Agapanthus are gorgeous which always remind me of the opening chapter in Harry Potter - The Half Blood Prince, when Prof Dumbledore admire's the Dursley's Agapanthus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a pot of these by the shed and we leave the seed heads on until they droop enough to be a nuisance when we go to open the door! I love the blue of agapanthus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder who won! I had one lonely flower this year and also now mean to cut off its head, following Monty's instruction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put it this way. The heads are still there! I do have one agapanthus with just one heads and I might cut that one. Farmer Husband better not touch them. He is still in trouble (and regularly reminded for digging up my chocolate cosmos and chucking it in the wheelbarrow. There will be a post about that soon I hope (when it decides to flower!)

      Delete