Wednesday 9 September 2020

The Holy Well

 I have already described our visit to Holywell Bay in a previous post. Tucked in the far corner of this beach is a hidden treasure. The cliffs known as The Kelseys are high and daunting. Situated amongst them but only accessible at low tide is a cave.


St Cuthbert’s cave as it is called looks innocuous enough from the outside but when you step inside you should be prepared for a surprise.


High up on the left is a natural spring which drips down through the rock.


The water rich in minerals and calcium has left an array of colourful deposits.



I was not brave or agile enough to climb up to these shelves so the credit fotnthese pictures above  goes to Younger Daughter.


The spring water was thought to have healing powers and was once a place of pilgrimage. It is possible that the high mineral content may be responsible for this reputation. Mothers were supposed to have brought their crippled children here on Ascension Day to search for a cure.


Legend also states that in 995 AD the Bishop of Lindisfarne, Aldhun was transporting the bones of the medieval saint St Cuthbert to Ireland when he was blown off course to North Cornwall. He settled here long enough to build a church at the nearby village of Cubert before being called to return the bones to Durham. The story has it that he touched the bones against the well side causing the spring to have healing powers. It makes a good tale!


What is important to remember is that if you visit this cave you do so as the tide recedes and that you take someone with you. Ideally a torch is useful too. 





6 comments:

  1. Beautiful place! Don't know if I would be brave enough to explore it but I'm glad you did! The fifth photo would be great for the SPSH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would. One slight problem. My daughter took it not me!

      Delete
    2. Drat - didn't think of that!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading the story. I don't think I am brave enough to explore either, but I am sure the Famous Five would have found some treasure in there!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really interesting place & I agree with Lady Ella, some of those rocks with colours is a perfect find for SPSH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful; it reminds me of places we've visited on the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete