Friday 9 October 2020

Snippets of the Season

 It’s surprising what you can find when you wander out with the camera. My afternoon walk with Poppy took me down around the quarry. Signs of the fruitfulness of Autumn. The first field which is next to the house has a mixture of Horse Chestnut and Sweet Chestnut trees. The recent wind and rain has resulted in a scattering of conkers and sweet chestnut.



Would you be able to resist picking up a shiny conker?


Poppy was soon looking to see what was holding me up.



The warm damp weather combined with a north facing wooded slope on one side of the tump (old slag heap) has created the ideal conditions for a riot of toadstools.





The windy weather has also brought down a sycamore tree. I can just a climb over it.


Note as well how muddy the track is where the sheep have been walking about. The sheep are put in the quarry at this time of year to eat back the grass once the wild flowers have finished dropping their seeds.



A few sloes left around. I’m not a fan of sloe gin.


The oak leaves are turning and there a large number of sizeable acorns around.








5 comments:

  1. Yes, autumn is definitely in the air. We are seeing shorter, crisp days too. No sign of rain yet.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pictures! Are you a collector of mushrooms? Other bloggers from England whose blogs I read seem to know which are the edible ones and go out foraging for them. Your lovely dog looks so eager and attentive. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I would have very little idea what was edible. I will just admire them where they are!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photographs. It's been way too long since I took my camera out to see what I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our grandson is an avid collector of conkers and we have a lot of horse chestnut trees near us - a recent walk saw him pick up (and bring home!) 43 conkers, he was so happy!

    ReplyDelete