Tuesday 21 July 2015

Cheerful Shopping

Most weeks I make a trip to the small town of Nailsea to pick up odds and ends. I must confess I find it an uninspiring place but it is close by. It originated as a village but became a new town when a large number of housing estates were built there and a small concrete shopping malls as added. Sadly like many places the decent small shops that it has struggle to keep going. Imagine by horror therefore to find the chemist replaced by this...


There are several independent cafes which can well do without this competition without mentioning the loss of the chemist where I could buy Oil of Cassia for Easter Cakes. Ella I will have to find another supply when you run out! 
Nailsea however had a second surprise for me this morning. I turned the corner to find a kind of Community decoration project.


The walkway was beautifully decorated with Pom Pom and Crochet Bunting!





The trees and lampposts were also decorated.





I suspect that the craft shop which sells the work of local artists was instrumental in providing most of this.




They were also encouraging feedback which they were getting. Not all was positive!


I didn't stop to write anything but it all certainly cheered me up and made up for the appearance of another Costa Coffee! Yes and before you all shout I know I blogged my own "bucket" of Costa coffee only last week but that was in Warwick!













4 comments:

  1. When I saw the top pic I thought it was going to be all about coffee fertiliser, then when I realised that Costa had replaced the Nailsea chemist I thought "Oh noooo! What about oil of cassia?" Fortunately I still have lots left but I do agree that allowing chains to encroach on such places is a bad idea and does little for the community. Anyway I like the crafty decs - boo to those who sneered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that could be one use for Costa to benefit my garden! I didn't get round to replying as to how long ago I heard it on Gardener's Question Time . It was a while ago!

      Delete
  2. I love all those pompoms and wish there were some local run shops in my local shopping area - we seem to have been taken over by charity shops

    ReplyDelete
  3. A craft shop but no chemist? Mmm..tricky..

    I love the crafty decorations though: very cheery

    ReplyDelete