Friday 10 July 2015

From Plough to Plate : Educating the Next Generation

On Wednesday I spent the day helping at a Countryside Day organised by the North Somerset Agricultural Society. This is held to educate local school children about where their food comes from. It was attended by over 2500 key stage 2 children. I was one of over 100 volunteers who acted as stewards. We acted as guides to a class taking them around to their timetabled activities. As you can imagine there were a large number of coaches.


My class came form inner city Bristol from a very multicultural school. They were a great class of children and very enthusiastic. I knew that our timetable included a session on pork and making sausages and as a large number of the children were Muslim I broached this with the class teacher. They were well prepared. She had discussed this with the Iman who had agreed that they could look if they wished to as long as they didn't touch any pork. They all came I and were all pretty controlled at the sight of a whole lamb carcass hung up and half a pig. There were a few who chose to leave and wait outside but was a likely reaction by any child. 
The next session was fish. They were presented with the sight of a trout which they were far more reactive to. There were a lot of yells as the fish was beheaded and gutted. One girl told me that she didn't eat fish but she did like fish fingers...... Not sure the point got across there!
The next session was chicks and hens. Far more pleasurable! They saw chicks hatching and young chicks.


Then a talk on laying hens ( just up my street!). I was pleased to hear that the school had two hens and they told me their names. One girl told me that one day they laid 6 eggs. I wish we had hens like that. I asked her if it was a Monday. Yes it was perhaps two Saturday, two Sunday and two Monday!


They really enjoyed the shire horses. 



When watching a demonstration of combining and ploughing they were very taken with the little dog on the tractor.


We had been told we were there to guide the class and that the teacher would control them. I am afraid I broke the rules slightly when I saw one boy wriggling under the barrier by the ploughing. A firm shout to come back did the trick! 
The sheep show was a real hit. Plenty of audience participation and jokes kept them entertained.


Kate came along to volunteer. She was demonstrating wrapping bales. Rather a distant picture I am afraid.


They did pose for a photo at the end of the day.


They met a variety of farm animals in a made up farmyard and then it was home time. I think a great day was had by all. Hopefully they took something home to remember. I am not sure who was most tired. The children, the teachers or us!









4 comments:

  1. Good for you Maggie! Sounds like a lovely thing to do and a wonderful opportunity for the kids. I'd even enjoy something like that now at my grand old age! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to do this but you must have been exhausted...at least perhaps not quite as hot as last week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great educational day. I love the six egg story!
    My daughter is involved in a program here in the US called FFA (Future Farmers of America), and she has learned way more about the way food is made than she wanted! LOL!
    She leans toward vegetarianism and refused to raise market animals for the fair. She does, of course, have her egg business.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fabulous day out for the kids

    ReplyDelete