And up towards Dartmouth.
There has been a castle here since 1388. There is another small castle at Kingswear which would have added to the defences of Dartmouth.
There was in addition in the 15th to 17th Centuries a chain that could be pulled across the estuary to prevent invading ships. What remains of the castle is bleak.
There are a lot of canons on display. Thankfully not still in use!
The castle surrounds the Church of St Petrox which originates from the late 12th Century. We had a wander round this too.
This brass memorial was of particular note.
Around the castle there was some evidence of how long it remained in use.