Monday 4 June 2018

A Summer Evening Walk

Would I be selfish if I complained that a hidden gem has been discovered? We have some fields away  from the main part of the farm some of which are next to a reasonably big stream. One field down from here is a piece of woodland which hides a waterfall. It is accessible by a public footpath and then there are permissive paths through to the waterfall. We have walked to this for many years but it was was quite unusual to see anyone else there.
Yesterday farmer daughter and I decided on an early evening walk down there. Farmer husband was busy turning newly cut grass for haymaking so we parked where he was working and walked down. Our route took us through some of our grass ready to be cut for more hay.



It was tricky at times finding Poppy in the grass!


The waterfall is hidden in a small copse which make it quite dark for photos.


The waterfall, unusual for this area drops about 10 feet.




The pool below is a popular spot for dogs, Poppy included.


It was quiet while we were there but the eroded paths suggest quite a few visitors.


Sadly this has had an adverse effect on the amount of wildlife and birds around. However it is good that more people are able to enjoy this little gem.


6 comments:

  1. What a treasure - I am a fan of waterfalls & Mr Man & I "hunt" for ones in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love waterfalls too. Does it have a name so I can find it on a map?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think it has a name but it is just outside a village called Chew Stoke. It is marked on OS maps and is easy to walk to from the church. It’s 3 or 4 fields along all flat and very scenic.

      Delete
    2. That is a hidden treasure Maggie and beautiful photos. The hay fields look wonderful and take me back to my childhood, you are lucky living a farmers wife’s life.

      Delete
  3. Only just seen this post. I agree, it's lovely. Hope those who visit take due care of it.

    ReplyDelete