Monday 5 November 2018

5 in 5 : Full Steam Ahead

 The Farmer Husband and I finally got round to trying out one of our Christmas presents from last year. Wednesday was in fact the last day we could use it before it expired so we had a bit of a day out.
This also seemed a good opportunity for November's 5 in  5. This is a monthly meme run by Sandie at Itchifingers where you take as many pictures as you can in 5 minutes and then choose 5. 
 Our present was a steam train ride so we headed to the East Somerset Railway at Cranmore near Shepton Mallet. I am pretty well practised at steam locomotives because my father was a real steam  enthusiast. Many of our holidays and days out were based around visiting preserved railways. I therefore felt quite nostalgic with the whole atmosphere of smell, sound and sights.
The track is simply 2.5 miles long so after a trip in an old carriage that reminded me of World War 2 films and thrillers we arrived at the end of the track. We then had an opportunity to get out and watch while the engine shunted back to the other end of the carriages for the return journey. 
A chance for photos!
So here are the 5 of the best of my 5 minutes.

1. The engine arrives at the terminus.

2. Shunting forward to manoeuvre onto the other track.

3. Reversing back to the other end.

4. A sign of how times have changed where ladies could choose to travel separated from men.

5. Inviting signs to exciting places.

5 comments:

  1. I love steam trains and hope you enjoyed the day. Thank you for taking part this month, your photos are very nostalgic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting five ... Mr Man likes the steam train mode of transport also. It's interesting that there is quite a push to keep these old beasts working & I say that's a good thing. Also in Canada we are getting a 2nd season of a series of "Mighty Trains" he visits all the great train travel adventures of the world - wow there are some exiting excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun excursion. I wonder if there's a steam engine train in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you go into the signal box and see David Sheppard's art, he is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did go in the signal box but there were no David Shepherd paintings there. I had to check with my husband because I was wondering if I was just totally blind. I was actually surprised that there seemed to be virtually nothing about David Shepherd anywhere which I thought was most odd.

      Delete