Tuesday 6 October 2020

Even a Flower Can Tell a Story.

 Last year I bought two plants called Cosmos Atrosanguineus  commonly known as Chocolate Cosmos. This is a tuberous perennial which has dark red almost brown flowers. It also tends to be on the tender side. The first came from my visit to Highgrove House and the second from the local green grocer. Unfortunately I omitted to realise that they needed protection over the winter. The first became completely lost whilst the second looked decidedly miserable! Meanwhile my mum had one also from Highgrove  which she had in a pot on her balcony and then her gardener sensibly over wintered in the greenhouse.

Roll on to the Spring. Mum’s came out of the greenhouse looking vigorous. Mine looked liked twigs! I kept a beady eye on it and then one afternoon when Farmer Husband was tidying up the border I noticed it was missing. There it was discarded in his wheelbarrow...... On fishing it out I was quick to point out that although it looked dead if he had put his glasses on he would have seen two tiny shoots. He has not been allowed to forget this. I potted the saved plant and kept my eye on it as it gradually recovered and then replanted it. I removed at this stage a shoot and brought it on in a pot.

By now it was Summer. Mum’s was flowering profusely. Mine were growing leaves...... Constant mutterings aimed at Farmer Husband....

Mid September comes and we finally have some buds on the potted one. 




There is hope at last!
The end of September and finally a flower. Early October and flower number two.



Farmer Husband would probably say that throwing it out was the best move. I would say that patience is always rewarded. There is one certainty. I shall be putting them somewhere in pots that is safe from frosts this winter and also away from somebody’s wheelbarrow.


8 comments:

  1. Hubby once threw away a rose bush, he cut back the roots and top, I took it out of the bag, popped it into a pot for a year, now a couple years later we have a lovely white rose bush, I planted it next to our parking space, hubby gets to see it every time he parks the car. He now never pulls anything out of the ground before asking. I lost a couple of chocolate cosmos and gave up on them, our clay soil is just no good for growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is obviously better trained! On answering your comment I realised I had omitted the picture of the flower. It’s now there!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty flower you have been rewarded with. Patience in gardening is a must. Ah the lesson of "don't touch my plants" is one, husbands world wide seem to need to learn by experience (col). I find Mr Man is most dangerous to my garden during the Autumn clean up especially if he's armed with clippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest danger is anything mechanical such as hedge trimmers, strimmer...... they just love them!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you managed to salvage it, and that it rewarded you. I am heartened by Poppy's comment above as I accidentally disturbed the tap root off a favourite rose a few months ago, thought I had killed it but left it in the earth. It finally sprouted some new foliage and I was so happy, but noticed today that the leaves have fallen off :o( Now wondering whether to pot it up and bring indoors or leave in peace and hope for the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would leave it be. Roses are hardy and it would probably benefit from minimal disturbance.

      Delete
  4. I'm so pleased that the flower has shown you hot grateful it is for its reprieve. I can imagine that your husband will be reminded of this for many years to come, especially when it is in full bloom and looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will indeed hear about it frequently!

      Delete