Saturday 21 April 2018

Old and New

One aspect that I really notice when I Tavel to London is the changing skyline contrasting old with new. I lived in London for 6 years as a student nurse and as a newly qualified nurse in the early 1980's. Back then there were a few tall modern buildings such as The Post Office Tower as it was known then which towered above our nurses' home, Centrepoint and Guy's Tower where I worked for a year and a half on the 10th floor. Nowadays the skyline looks different everytime I visit. 
 On our visit last week we travelled by river bus from Embankment which gave us a grand view of the London Eye.


It was a cold dull day which made everything grey. We could however clearly see Big Ben shrouded in scaffolding. 


Whilst at the tower itself the mixture of old and new is evident from the battlements.


It is the Shard that looms dramatically above the oldest of the tower buildings giving an extraordinary mix of modern and ancient.

 

It certainly can't be easy when filming any period films.

3 comments:

  1. Have you been up the Shard yet? I'm hoping to do that later this year and will be keeping my fingers crossed for a clear day so I can photograph the London skyline. It seems to change every time I go there, but I do love the mix if the old and the new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been up the Shard and seeing it shrouded in mist emphasises the importance of choosing the right day!

      Delete
    2. I went up at sunset on a clear day and got some quite decent pictures (I blogged them at the time). Enjoyed it ... however it wasn't cheap so definitely important to have a good day as it's something to be savoured!

      Delete