Thursday 20 August 2020

A Car Trip with a Difference

 I came across these photos when going through some family photos. They are taken at Southampton in approximately 1963. My auntie and uncle had an extended stay in Canada. These photos show the return of  their VW Beetle car and their belongings in a wooden crate. I don’t remember this day but I do remember their car with all the travel stickers on it! They brought me back a little Native American baby doll in a papoose which I actually found the other day.


They meanwhile flew back.


We had travelled down to see the goods unloaded perhaps because they were still away. That’s me on the right with my mum on the left and my brother in the middle. We are stood in front of our car a Humber Hawk.


This last photo taken probably a little later shows my dad with me in the middle and my older sister. It is taken outside my Grandma’s house. We frequently visited on a Sunday after we had been to church. My dad nearly always wore a suit so it’s tricky to tell. I don’t exactly look dressed for Sunday school. Dad always wore a silk coloured hanky in his top pocket. I used to love to pull it out to ‘annoy’ him!
The shiny bumper is the same Humber Hawk.



3 comments:

  1. Oh I bet that was quite a treat to see something like that when you were young. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely memories! My dad drove a Humber Hawk too, and like yours, he would wear a suit every day of the week unless we were on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love looking at old photos, and what an experience that must have been for you as a little'un.

    ReplyDelete