Monday 31 August 2020

The Barley is Nearly In

 Farmer Daughter and Younger Daughter have gone off to Cornwall camping with a friend. They are having a good time but what happens as soon as they have gone? The weather improves. 

Today the combine harvester arrived to get the Spring barley cut. There is about 25 acres and he has been going all day.


The weather has stayed good and the barley is reasonably
dry. While the combine has been working brother in law has been in another field baling the wheat straw that has been in the field since the combine was here a few weeks ago. You may recall that the wheat was harvested just before the thunder storms.


The grain is emptied periodically into a trailer which Farmer Husband  has been hauling back up to the farm and unloading.


Then off he goes again. He has finished for tonight but will be back tomorrow to continue on the last bit weather permitting. 


I spotted this sign on the back of our trailer that made me smile. 





6 comments:

  1. On a good year with a good crop it's a lovely time, hope your yealds are high and all in before any more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen a bright yellow harvester before; how appropriate since grains are golden when ripe. I like that sign. Locally it's only the winter wheat of the grains that has been harvested so far, local farmer tells us that the other grains will be soon. The soy fields are starting to ripen yellow - umm now there's a theme colour for September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is a lot of yellow about. I love that golden yellow of barley straw. You get a lot of yellow combines around here. There are made by New Holland.

      Delete
  3. Great to see it all going on. As kids, it was a great achievement to be the first to spot and yell out "combine harvester!" On our walk at the weekend we came across a field yet to be cut, which was barley with quite a few patches of rogue oats in it. I asked if the oats would somehow be separated, or just all mown in together and G said she thought the whole crop had been spoiled by rain so it wouldn't be harvested at all. Aaagh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was who will be first to spot the sea!
      Was it wild oats? It’s quite tall and wispy. The boys used to always walk the crops and pull,out he wild oats by hand. I must ask him why they don’t now.
      Seems unlikely the whole crop was spoilt by the rain. I would have thought they would have a go at saving what they can. You will have to go back and see!

      Delete
    2. I definitely will. I don't know if they were wild oats but they were taller and wispier than the barley. I must admit I was a bit surprised by G's answer but since she knows way more than I do, I wasn't in a position to argue!

      Delete