Thursday 12 November 2020

New Toys

 I have been considering for some time purchasing a second camera. I am very attached to my DSLR which I have now had for 11 years. It takes a superb picture with great clarity and definition. 


It has been at my side on many an adventure. There are times however when something more versatile is useful. My Pentax is quite heavy and I can also guarantee that I will often have the wrong lens on for the occasion. I have had a lot of issues with dirt on the sensor from changing lenses when out and about. 
I have therefore invested in a bridge camera. I knew roughly what I wanted having used my daughter’s. I knew I wanted a reasonable amount of zoom so I could instantly capture near and far and I required an old fashioned viewfinder. A Panasonic Lumix met these criteria so I have taken the bull by the horns and bought one, no thanks to the clueless sales assistant in a large department store that is never knowingly undersold! I am now enjoying trying it out.


This is the kind of versatility I am looking for. To be able to go from above to below from one position and instantly.


It certainly has a great zoom.


It has made me realise however how much I had learnt to do on my SLR especially in different light conditions. These two night scenes are okay but I need to experiment with the manual settings to get a variety of effects.



I suspect I may be reverting to my other camera for these kind of close ups although to be fair the light levels were poor.


I have also updated my phone! I had coped with an extremely cracked screen for a year and an increasingly rubbish battery so the time had come! The camera on this is far better and great for rapid captures as I go about my daily chores.


I hope you are looking forward to joining me on my journey of discovery with my new toys!







9 comments:

  1. You take some beautiful pictures! I don't have a fancy camera at all, in fact I use my phone for all my pictures. (I too, could use an upgrade on my phone). I love your horse pictures. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always carry my snappy camera even with my Sony and all it's lens. Often the snappy catches my photo, where as you say the Sony will often have a different lens. Having said that, my phone camera is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for a new camera as well but hadn't considered a bridge camera but will now after seeing your photos. Like you, there are times that I'd like the versatility without changing lenses. What model number is it please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a Panasonic lumix DMC-FZ330. They do quite a range. We borrowed daughters when we went to New Zealand as a back up camera so I was quite familiar with the range. I now have lots of buttons to get used to!

      Delete
  4. Oh what fun to have some new toys, especially the new camera. Great photos of the horses, along with the close up of Skye (?). I am considering upgrading my phone only because the government COVID alert program won't run on my really really old cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two new cameras are definitely inspirational! I've gotten into such a rut. Haven't used my Canon with interchangeable lens in a long, long time. I love my Sony, but 90% of my photos now are taken with my phone. Truthfully, 90% of those are as good as the photos with the Sony. But, you are correct, the close-ups are far better on my Canon! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, you certainly have an eye for a good picture! My husband has the Pentax Lumix as well, and is very pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! This will be great fun for you! I really love the first night shot, but if you say it can be improved, I believe you. Your pics are always lovely, especially your close-ups. Yes, changing lenses is a fag. It will be interesting to see how much you revert to the old camera once you get into the swing of the new one. I have two under-loved old cameras in cupboards!! (Don't tell anyone!)

    ReplyDelete