Monday 23 May 2016

Memorandum Monday: Young Chefs

Good Morning to all on this Monday morning and a big wave to Sian and all the other Monday bloggers. I have chosen to stretch the last weekend to include Thursday evening. I joined some friends for a first for me. A trip to a new to me and very special restaurant.
 The daughter of a friend has been studying a BTEC in hospitality for the last two years at The City of Bristol College. I was asked if I would like to attend one of their themed evenings at their restaurant which was on this occasion Italian.
 Half of the students are behind the scenes in the kitchen with one of them in charge of cooking. The other half are front of house with my friend's daughter in charge. They had created a delicious tasting cocktail to start us off. Unfortunately as I was driving so a taster sip was all I dared try.
We were presented with a very promising menu along with some rosemary or garlic bread to start us off.


The starters all looked and tasted delicious. I was a bit more organised by the main course and had my phone at the ready. I chose the lamb


The other two options looked equally good.



I regretted again having my car when we were presented with a shot of limoncello. This was another first for me but again had to be passed to my neighbour after a sip or two. We then had a taster of two desserts.


What a lovely evening being served scrumptious food by delightful students all at a reasonable price. Not to mention the company of some wonderful friends. Anything to criticise? Perhaps the lack of support to the Potato farmer and I have one regret which is that I did not discover these evenings until nearly the end of term!







9 comments:

  1. Ooh, yum! Our local college has a similar system, students cooking and serving meals for course practice. I keep meaning to go and never have. Seeing this makes me think I really must get on with it.
    If you feel you need another go at limoncello, I have g a l l o n s of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I've not heard of these sort of evenings. Sounds good - I wonder if they do them in Bath?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a treat for sure. We do not have local culinary schools but Toronto does & I have heard tickets are next to impossible to get it is so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. licking my lips - sounds a great evening all round for the diners and students - I'm always unhappy when potaos are missing from a menu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of the best meals I've ever had were at the restaurants at the Culinary Institute of America, which is just a few miles from my brother's home. The meals look delicious, but by looks alone, I'd pick yours--the lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this takes me back! To when my brother was at catering college back in the late 80's. What a great way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that sounds like a very fun and yummy evening. And yay for you for driving so your friends could fully enjoy the cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely delicious! And I'll add my cheer to Susanne's. Good for you doing the driving.

    Wishing you a great week

    ReplyDelete