Friday 23 February 2018

A Heavenly Array of Early Colour

Those of you that follow both my blog and my sister's will find some similarities over the next few days. This is because we have been almost walking in each other's footsteps. However everyone has a different outlook so I am sure our slant will vary.
The more sheltered side of mum's garden which only really sees the morning sun is a great place for growing hellebores. The whole stretch of the border is covered in them.


I have seen them described as heavenly hellebores which seems a very apt title for such beautiful flowers.


Beauty of course is only skin deep. Hellebores are exceedingly poisonous despite their deceiving looks. Harry Potter fans will be able to recount several references to it being used as a potion!


Have you ever tried to photograph this flower? It naturally drops its head down. 


I believe my sister Julie tried lying on the ground.


I'm afraid I took a more lazy tactic and gently propped the flowers in a more upright position.


Such lovely pastel colours.


This double is a new addition to her collection.


My sister came up with this very effective way of enjoying them after a suggestion from the gardener.


It certainly means that mum can enjoy her flowers without having to step outside.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely. I've been enjoying them all around at the mo too. I like the display in the bowl. How much of a stem is left on each one and how deep is the water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I've never seen a double helebores. I love the arrangement, and never thought to bring them into the house. Ours bloom in the shade garden behind our house, long before it's warm enough to be sitting outside. Now I can enjoy them inside! (I've laid on the ground to take a photo of them---messy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellebores were a new planting for me a couple years back & now I am so taken with them. Your Mum's garden gives me a renewed hope that my two planted last year have survived, I put rose huts on them to help keep the bunnies away since my first Hellebore was chewed down to nothing. I just got an email about purchasing a collection of either singles or doubles ... umm I thought I was definitely going single but after seeing your photos I'm in a decision dilemma (col). Yes heavenly is a good description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty plants, I especially love that frilly one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your method of propping the flowers to photograph has worked well - great photos and no damp clothes! There is great but subtle variety in Mum’s collection now and the individual flowers are fascinating. I think Mum’s choice of the dark colourless bowl works well. I didn’t pick them but I think only about half an inch of stem was left and about the same amount of water in the bowl - just enough to float them. They were still looking pretty good after three days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well as you can see, I came back for another look. I can't believe it was only Feb that you posted these! I'd definitely have guessed it was last winter. Anyway, I'll have to remember to try this myself next year.

    ReplyDelete