Tuesday 19 January 2016

Parsnip and Apple

There is nothing quite like a warm hearty soup when you have been out in the cold. I find that with two members of the family working for long hours either outside or in draughty sheds I need to think about something warming when they come in.
A great favourite is Parsnip and Apple Soup. The recipe I use comes from the Crank's Recipe Book which I see was given to me for Christmas 1987! An advantage of this soup is that I have most of the ingredients which we have grown ourselves. 
There was bit of a struggle getting the parsnips out of the frosty ground!


They come ready trimmed!


I do make a few changes. I usually add some potato. This helps to thicken the soup and they are readily available!


It is not difficult to see that the Bramley apples have lost their glossy look and are a little wrinkled. This doesn't effect them once they are peeled.


Another change I usually make wouldn't suit the vegetarian. I tend to make chicken and turkey stock whenever we have a roast chicken or turkey. I store this in the freezer in approximately pint quantities ready to use as a wholesome stock for soup or sometimes gravy.


The soup also contains parsley and mixed herbs and has milk added just before blending. Sadly I don't have a picture of the finished product because it was consumed too quickly!





9 comments:

  1. Obviously a success then! I've never tried making stock. And I'd love to have all or most of my ingredients to hand like that. My friend had leek and parsnip soup on NY day, both freshly dug from her allotment. I know it's hard work, but it's also really idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've eaten parsnips, thanks to my SIL, but I've never cooked one myself. Parsnip and apple soup sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely soup weather at the moment - potato, leek and kale for me at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that was a great soup. If I remember rightly the Cranks recipe book was a gift from us and from 'the bump' now a Mum herself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's probably the year I got my first cookbook.

    This sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds fantastic! I love parsnips, and mixed with apple sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't beat soup in the cold weather, must give your one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love roasted parsnips here and they are nice after a frost.

    ReplyDelete