Tuesday 5 January 2016

Looking Up 5 in 5

I have been thinking about No. 16 A Chimney in the Winter Scavenger Photography Hunt (details found here) which has had me looking up. What better place than the city of Bath for this? The skyline is abundant with chimney pots both single and multiple, used and derelict. Today is the 5th of the Month so for Sandie's 5 in 5 in I raised my camera towards the rooftops of Bath. To give the results a more timeless look I have made them black and white.


Note in the one above how many pots have been removed.


Imagine the smoke out of these in their day.


A good place to nest now?


More of a mixed bunch here.


It is surprising how the monochrome takes the elegance out of the buildings. Do you know Bath? If so how many can you place?





4 comments:

  1. it is amazing to think of how much smoke was created by all these fires in the past - I love them all in black and white

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful collection of chimney photos Maggie! Black and white certainly does create atmosphere and I love the timeless look. I didn't notice how many pots were missing until you made me pause and look again - so sad to think this bygone era is something that will not grace our skyline in years to come. Glad though that beautiful houses like these are probably preserved and will hopefully grace the streets of Bath for many more year to come.
    I have only been to Bath once and it is somewhere I'd like to go again. I love architecture, especially older buildings, and it is a beautiful and interesting place. Lucky for you living near enough to visit whenever you choose.
    It's time I gave more time and attention to my scavenger hunt photos. Thanks so much for sharing these and linking in. Happy snapping through 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something nostalgic and appealing about chimneys. I love looking up at old houses and seeing all the different styles of chimney pot. It can be amazing how many chimneys one house needed in days gone by. In fact I think modern houses lack something (draughts probably!) by their lack of chimneys. The pictures are very atmospheric in black and white. I think it is the lack of seeing the warm yellow stone that makes it seem so 'un-Bath' like. Love the photos Maggie - they are really striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selection. Two and three are my favourites and the B&W really helps you to focus on the silhouettes.

    ReplyDelete