Thursday 13 August 2015

An Elizabethan House and Garden

On Monday we made a visit to Montacute House. We stopped for a very pleasant lunch at The Phelips Arms first. This is in the village which itself looks like a picture postcard. It is an ideal setting for a film set and I am sure must get used as much. They just need to put away their recycling boxes.




We then headed for the gardens of Montacute House while the weather was still fine. These are formal gardens mainly of an Elizabethan style. They consist of a lot of yew hedges and yew trees. The hedges are clipped into some interesting shapes.




We were also intrigued by the swirls in the bark of this sweet chestnut tree.


The gazebos that I mentioned yesterday dominate a lot of the garden with many paths leading to them.



Both of these little houses are now empty although apparently they would originally have had an upstairs floor and were used for overflow guest rooms!


The house itself is an imposing building with quite a lot of outside decoration.



Directly in front of the house is a gate out into the parkland with a vista down an avenue of trees. We tried to imagine them out for their morning ride.


The formal fountain dominates the other part of the garden.


It has some impressive if not rather scary fish it.


I didn't take any pictures in the house other than this stained glass window.



The house has none of its original furnishings but has been furnished with suitable items. It is not the most atmospheric house but does have an interesting long gallery and it is possible to imagine the ladies walking up and down in inclement weather. This area now contains part of the National Portrait Gallery and I can remember visiting this when on a school visit when studying Tudors and Stuarts for A Level history.


















6 comments:

  1. Snap! I did the Tudors and Stuarts for A level. I loved it and it they still remain my favourite periods in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a wonderful walkabout with you. The Tudors are my favourites - Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth are my most favourite historical persons - but aside from that, what a beautiful home and grounds. The chestnut tree swirl is amazing. I wonder how old that tree is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montacute House - I'll have to remember that name. It looks amazing. If I were ever to direct a film of Jane Eyre (OK, I'm not saying it's likely, or even possible!), I would set Thornfield Hall there. It EVEN has a chestnut tree! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure ask me to the debut in fact make sure you put me in the credits as your inspiration! Oh and make sure you remove all those Paintings before the fire seen... Just in case....

      Delete
    2. Noted! I might have to find a way to do it without actually setting it alight (or destroying the chestnut tree). I've just searched it online and apparently it was used for the filming of Wolf Hall. I guess if you had run into Damien Lewis, you would have mentioned it... :o)

      Delete
    3. No such encounters! Interestingly we had actually intended to visit Barrington Hall which is nearby and has a display of Wolf Hall costumes on show. I was swayed by the weather as there is more indoors at Montacute. Barrington Court is still on my list.

      Delete