Saturday 1 August 2015

Back to the Seventies

A few of us got together last night for a "seventies" evening taking most of us back to our teenage years. Some came dressed appropriately although I can't say I ever looked twice at a boy dressed like this!


The hostess had gone to a lot of trouble not only preparing the food but in finding suitable tableware. A look through her mother's cupboard had revealed some Pyrex and some Tupperware! Note the ice bucket now serving as a flower vase!


The food was all 70s style.


Some very tasty vol au vents.

                   

Salmon paste rolls.


The inevitable cheese and pineapple.

                

Someone had made a very authentic Black Forrest Gateau 


Then there was blancmange, jelly with tinned fruit cocktail and evaporated milk, Arctic Roll and Fondant Fancies. Note the Mateus Rose too.


Our memories were tested with a 70s quiz and we had some music of the time that we had selected from our collections to play on an old record player.


Those were the days!



 





8 comments:

  1. Well that all looks lovely! No deviled eggs though? Sausage rolls? Sure that you had fun anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but there were devil on horseback and sausages on sticks.

      Delete
  2. taking me back to those fun years of my teens - I did love a cheese and pineapple hedgehog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a fun bunch of friends for sure. I am looking up all the names of the foods you were served as I have no idea about most, I am especially intrigued by devil on horseback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devils on horseback are prunes wrapping in bacon. They are actually very nice. You also get pigs in blankets which are sausages wrapped in bacon. Strange lot us English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not sure about prunes ... Pigs in Blankets I know, although we add the pig into a blanket of savoury pastry. I also know a good Yorkshire pudding, Toad in The Hole and how to make a proper cup of tea! (lol) My maternal Grandparents were English/Welsh and a strong influence in my life so they saw to it we knew about proper things :)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a lot of fun. All that 70's pyrex is so collectable now: it's funny how we see things through different eyes after a few years have passed

    ReplyDelete