Tuesday 18 August 2015

Strawberry Conserve

I have had quite a lot of conversations with Ella at Flowers of Progress about jam making. She is rapidly becoming an avid jam maker. I mentioned to her that I would blog my recipe for Strawberry Conserve. 
So here it is.


Nearly two years ago my friend and I treated ourselves to a bread making day. This was a fantastic day but what we were not warned about was to starve ourselves for about a week before! The whole day was one total gourmet experience! Our breakfast on arrival included a variety of breads and home made jams one of which was this Strawberry Conserve. It is not a firm set as it contains no added pectin such as lemon juice and has quite a short boil. The flavour however is delicious.
We frequently take a load of potatoes into the fruit market. The other day they brought home a free box of strawberries that had been squashed. The strawberries were slightly damaged but quite usable. They don't look quite like these but they had not deteriorated so strawberry conserve was soon on the go!



STRAWBERRY CONSERVE
Makes about 1.3 kg

INGREDIENTS
1.3kg small or medium strawberries, hulled
1.3kg granulated sugar

1.  Layer the hulled strawberries in a large bowl with the sugar. Cover with cling film and chill for 24 hours.

2.  Transfer the strawberries, sugar and juices to a large heavy pan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has completely dissolved bring to the boil and cook steadily (not rapidly) for 5 minutes.

3.  Leave the mixture to cool, then place in a bowl, cover with cling film and chill for 2 days.

4.  Pour the strawberry mixture into a large pan, bring to the boil and cook steadily for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Stir, then ladle into warmed sterilised jars and seal. 

I chopped the strawberries into slices before adding the sugar.


After the first 24 hours you can see above and below there is syrup forming.



Then it is heated slowly.


It is a lengthy process so you need to know that you have several days ahead to attend to it but the result is worth it. A beautiful taste and strawberries still recognisable for the fruit they are!


Our teacher doesn't store it in a fridge. I am more cautious. The first batch I made last year did develop a mould so I do now store it in a fridge. I am lucky to have the space in a second fridge in my utility room.
Make some and see for yourself!







5 comments:

  1. After saying "enough jam for now", I made jam last night and tonight!
    Thank you for this. Looks delicious although I too would tend to be cautious and chill to store. Next time I can get my hands on cheap strawberries I will have to try. Mum said the other day Tesco were selling them off at 2p a punnet - alas she was beaten to it by other shoppers...
    I LOVE those top two photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments on the photos. Strawberries do make lovely photos. I look forward to hearing about your conserve making. I have just added another preserve book(got two already) to my Christmas wish list.

      Delete
  2. That looks good. My one and only attempt ever was with you when Lauren was in her high chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries are the perfect fruit and your strawberry conserve looks so yummy. I am encouraged by both you and Lady Ella's adventures into jam making. I am thinking this is something I should try and give as Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll start saving jars now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made me even more keen to get to a PYO farm

    ReplyDelete