Thursday 12 February 2015

Sausage and Beans Casserole


In the winter weather when it is so cold any farmer is ready by lunchtime to come in out of the cold and we normally have our main meal then. He is ready for something to warm him up! Since returning from New Zealand older daughter has been working at a neighbouring farm with their lambing. She is out from 7.30 till 10 at night so needs something she can either have when she gets home or take with her to warm up in the microwave. I have been looking around for recipies that will warm up easily and give a hearty meal. This little book that I have had since th early 1980s has lots of great possibilities and today I adapted a casserole from there that we have had many times. 



Sausage and Bean Casserole is easy and sits in the oven well until needed. I tend to throw in what I have to hand!


Ingredients 
1lb Pork Sausages 
1 Onion chopped 
1 garlic clove crushed 
1 carrot diced
1 parsnip diced
1 stick celery chopped
1 tin baked beans 
4 fluid ounces approx beef stock
6oz dried apricots finely chopped or (as I used today 1 cooking Apple peeled and chopped.)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon brown sugar (original recipe had 2 tablespoons!)
Salt and pepper 

Brown the sausages and cut into slices and place in a casserole dish. Cook the carrot and parsnip in a little water until barely soft. Drain and add to dish. (The water can be used for the stock)
Meanwhile sauté the onions and garlic. 
Add all ingredients to the dish, mix well and season.
Cover and cook at 180 C for 30 to 40 mins.
I usually serve it with baked potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of putting apricots in. The recipe I have calls for cannellini beans and sausage, and I might try a few apricots too next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apricots are nice in a lamb casserole too. I often put them with lamb chops.

      Delete