Saturday 16 May 2020

Checking the Sheep

One of the jobs that has to be done every day and sometimes twice is checking all the sheep in the fields. This is usually carried out by Farmer Daughter who drives around them in our multi terrain vehicle ( the gator). The advantage of this is that she can drive close to them without disturbing them, she can carry any medicines she may need, she can take stock feed potatoes or hay in the winter,  it's quicker and drier in wet weather. This time of year there are obviously ewes and their lambs to check. Each ewe and lamb is marked with a number, singles in one colour and doubles in another. It is then possible to quickly see which lambs should be with which mum. It also gives an indication of the age of the lamb. This lamb being only no. 7 was obviously one of the earlier ones.


The sheep are checked to ensure they are all looking healthy with no signs of any problems, that they have not escaped from the field and they have adequate grass.


I sometimes incorporate checking the sheep into part of my walk. It's no great hardship in fine weather and when they are in a field with a beautiful view.


It does take a while on foot and the disadvantage is that they tend to wander away from me. Poppy stays firmly on a lead during checking. She doesn't chase the sheep but they have more of a tendency to move away if she is wandering around.




This is probably one of my favourite views from our fields. It makes me really realise how lucky we are to have such lovely places to wander and makes me think of all the people who have been shut up in their houses for weeks. How pleased they must feel to have a little more freedom these past few days.


I think they must have similar thoughts as I do as the day comes to an end. That's another day got through and hopefully another step closer to seeing a bit of normality.




4 comments:

  1. Being stuck at home, I have serious envy of all those photo opportunities on your doorstep. I love the final photo.

    Thanks for sharing Maggie, your photos are keeping me cheerful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice way to spend an afternoon walk, counting sheep. I can understand why Poppy isn't allowed off lead though! Yes, I am one of those that mentally ticks off another day every evening, and am in mixed feelings about wanting more freedom, yet being a bit apprehensive about actually going out and doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tire of the view over the Mendips!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am envious of your walks.

    ReplyDelete