Saturday 2 May 2020

Lockdown Activities

It's a struggle coping without your family and friends. This is something that most people are experiencing at the moment worldwide. I have been keeping in touch with friends and family in many different ways. This includes telephone, letter, food parcels, Whatsapp groups, Zoom sessions including book club and a family quiz. I also through my church have a group of people that I periodically ring, the oldest of these being 102!
Today my family has taken things a step further with a Lockdown Family Bake Off. This was led by Farmer Daughter. We were given a recipe for a Victoria Sponge and had to make it and present photos by 5pm. So we all set to work in our kitchens baking away. Luckily we all had enough flour. I have recently purchased a 16kg bag from Amazon so I shan't be running out for a while!


A few adaptions had to be made along the way if ingredients weren't available. There is no popping down the shops for individual items during lockdown! I had no cream so made butter icing and no strawberries so found a few cake decorations.

  
Farmer Husband was on hand to sample my offering!




Throughout the baking we were in contact via demonstration videos and photos.

The finished product was photographed and submitted to Farmer Daughter. They were then forwarded on anonymously to one of her friends for judging. Obviously judging was entirely on looks and presentation.


A Zoom session was called to give the results.


The fun was definitely in the participation but I have to admit that I won with my niece as a close second. I'm not sure I really deserved it but I think the addition of a serviette and cup of tea in the picture may have helped!







10 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I'd have picked yours too. Followed by the one with the strawberries on top. I'm in the good books at the moment as I managed to find flour for mum yesterday! The rejoicing!

    Now do tell me that is sunscreen on your face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strawberry one is my niece's and is closer to the actual recipe having fresh cream and strawberries. However she had sent hubby out for some essentials and hence got the correct ingredients. I couldn't justify popping to get extras from the shop.
      Not sunscreen. I could tell you that I always look like that but that would be a lie. It's icing sugar. Long story but we were sending demo videos back and forth. I had commented that I always get icing sugar everywhere so in the next video I dabbed some on my face for a joke. Yes I know I am a nutter.
      Having got frustrated that my order of flour and caster sugar was never available in my click and collect order I took the bull by the horns. I now have a 16kg bag of plain flour and 10kg of caster sugar from Amazon!

      Delete
    2. Oh sugar - that's ok. I'm not sure I could have forgiven any flour wastage! And it is a good gag - hope you got a big laugh.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! And of course having cake as a "by-product" is not too shabby either :)
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great fun, and you get to eat the results, well done on winning. I am loving all the different way we are keeping in contact, but still can't wait for huggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too although I am not sure that hugging freely without concern will come for a long time.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your win. They all looked good but I think you deserved the win ... your flour/icing sugar covered face shows how wholeheartedly you entered into the spirit of the occasion 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds fun and congratulations on winning! I am pleased to see that I am not the only one to end up wearing several ingredients after a baking session!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun family activity. I agree your presentation is a winner. Many chuckles at your icing sugar face - such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! And so nice that everyone was willing to join in. I have to admit to doing more baking during this time than usual. I really enjoy cooking, and have been truing lots of new recipes, but I don't usually bake. I've made two different kinds of scones, chocolate muffins, cheddar/bacon biscuits, and most recently, brownies. The scones and biscuits were particularly good and will certainly show up again!

    ReplyDelete