Tuesday 19 May 2020

Meringue Bake Off : Summer Fruit Roulade

Summer fruit always gives a visually pleasing image. They are truly mouth watering and who could resist popping one of these in their mouth?


They were the basis for my entry for the family bake off this last weekend. Once washed they were left to dry on a cloth while I made the main part of the challenge : the meringue.



I had decided on a roulade for my meringue attempt and I used Mary Berry's recipe with a few adaptions. Firstly no almonds but I did slip a little bit of pink colouring into the mixture just swirled through.


There was no Greek yogurt in my lockdown fridge so I substituted it with half fat creme fraiche to mix in with the whipped cream.


I also added more of a variety of fruit.


Rolling it up is always the most stressful moment. Then the recipe advised to wrap in baking parchment and store in the fridge.


Immediately before serving I gave it a dusting of icing sugar and a bit of decoration. 


The plate was a birthday present for my 60th and was just the right colour.


Here's your slice. Enjoy!



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't ... quite .... reach ... Looks great though, and the food colouring really adds.
    Shall we be seeing the other entries, and learning of the winner again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I hope you won, we had a bake off challenge this week, Victoria Sponge, my neighbour won, her son 6 years old is proper little master baker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious and I hope you won. Who chooses the theme for each bake off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We choose the theme between us or the leader does. We take it in turn to lead.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, what sinful deliciousness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have surely outdone yourself this time! Yummy!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Mary Berry would be proud of you! Just look how pretty the pink swirls in the meringue have turned out - Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete