Thursday 14 May 2020

VE Day Themed Bake Off : The Other Entries.

Yesterday I explained about this week's family bake off which is created in each family member's home and shared with the others by means of video and photos on our group Whatsap. Younger daughter made a couple of entries one of which was this very tasty Welsh Rarebit reflecting her residence in Wales. I thought this one looked particularly delicious and well presented





She also made Welsh cakes, another regional specialty which she then served as a Welsh cream tea. Another yummy choice. Let's hope she had the jam and cream the right way round.




Farmer Daughter chose to make Cornish Pasties. Her presentation may not have been as good but technically I think hers should have scored high. Making pasties is not easy. She had made her own pastry and had done some great crimping.



My sister chose a recipe from a National Trust cook book and made a very tempting cake called Churchill's fruit cake. Another well presented entry.


It certainly looks like a good cake with well distributed fruit.


My niece opted for these beautifully decorated biscuits which certainly reflected the theme.



So who would you have given a first to? Well the 4 judges results were a tie putting the fruit cake and my Cornish cream tea in joint first place.

6 comments:

  1. Given the presentation only (although a taste test would be lovely), I'd give you the first place honors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult because it there's savoury and sweet. I'd give you first place for the sweet, and your youngest daughter for the rarebit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that Welsh rarebit (or rabbit as I used to say when I was little!) looks delicious - my children used to call it 'squeezy cheese on toast' because they loved how it melted together!
    I love seeing your cooking competitions, it all looks delicious and now I can't stop thinking about Cornish pasties - that taste even better if you're eating one fresh from the bakers sitting on a sea wall on a sunny lunchtime. I need a holiday ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the entries look wonderful! Thank you adding the Cornish split recipe. I am going to trying to bake some although getting ingredients has been just as tough in the US. I am still waiting for my order of yeast and flour to arrive - it has been back-ordered for 4 weeks.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh they all deserve first, because everyone will want seconds of them all!

    ReplyDelete