Thursday 8 October 2015

Architectural Shapes

When wandering around some of the buildings at Stourhead House I was fascinated by the variety of shapes incorporated into a lot of the outside buildings many of which such as the stables were far more ornate than most of our houses.
 This first photo shows the gate house with the contrast of arches at the base and a castle type roof. You may recognise the doorway with the turnstile from my pairs yesterday and the vibrant tree.


Even the gatekeeper's house had an ornate doorways with triangles.


These arches were on an old granary which is now a bookshop.


The stableyard was full of windows of many shapes.



Many of the stable windows followed this semi circle design.


Apparently they were designed so that they matched the library windows on the main house which could be seen from the stables.


The cartwheel information signs added to the shapes


As did the planters in the garden.


And the formal flower bed and fountain.


I feel like I have just completed a "Find the Shape" puzzle!












3 comments:

  1. love all the curved details - good shape spotting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos. The gatehouse and the area immediately surrounding it, is one of my favourite part of Stourhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's the most amazing library window I've ever seen. Imagine actually living there and getting to see it every day

    ReplyDelete