Thursday 15 October 2015

The Hydrangea Flower

You all guessed correctly that the photo on Tuesday is indeed a close up of a Hydrangea. It is in fact a lovely bloom from my mum's garden.


It is one of several that she has in bloom at the moment.


On our visit to Stourhead there were a lot of hydrangeas in the garden near the house which I thought gave a welcome flush of colour.


Opinion on these shrubs was definitely divided. One of my friends with us that day said that her mother had considered them to be town flowers!  My other friend agreed that she not like them at all! There is such a variety in flower heads that I think it is a little harsh to dismiss them outright. Take this one for instance at Stourhead that I think is almost sparkly.


Or this one.


Personally I think they look superb in the right setting even in the rain as we discovered back in August at Abbotsbury Tropical Gardens.



I have planted one in our garden although my mother in law tells me they don't grow around here. I shall have to wait to to find out.
Do you like them?







5 comments:

  1. I love them from the tiny buds right through to picking and drying. And with so many varieties it seem a shame to write them all off. I've never heard of Town Flowers but I know exactly what she is referring to 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the strangeness at the end I forgot you can't use emojis here xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them in all their colours and forms - perhaps because my Nanna had a big one beside her front door and I associate them with her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helena - you are right, Maggie and I used to pose for photos in front of the hydrangeas in our Grandma's garden when we were young. Lots of family photos were taken there.

      Delete
  4. Your examples of Hydrangeas are beautiful. What I see in most of the gardens are the large white flower shrub variety, to which so many cut & dry for wreaths (lovely too). I've been told that to get the pink or the blue you HAVE TO feed specifically for that colour. True in your area? I like all your examples but do prefer the pink, well pink anything.

    ReplyDelete