Tuesday 1 December 2015

Apples and Plums

Doesn't it seem a long time since this fruit was on the trees? Yet it really is only a matter of months.


These photos were actually taken a couple of years ago and although I had an abundant crop this year the quality was actually better when these were taken.



I found this photo when I was searching through my files which I thought would amuse you. Definitely a picture of Monty being Monty!


Now that there is not much fruit around I tend to rely on some of my stored fruit for some good old winter warmer puddings. The apples I have stored in an outside building but a lot of the plums are in the freezer. I freeze them whole in bags and then just fish some out when I need them. I don't defrost them but just pop them in the dish as they are. A favourite is plum and apple where the apple nicely compliments the plums.


Even though the plums are frozen and the apples are fresh I just put the topping on and cook. I do like to add some oats to the crumble after the rubbing in stage. It makes a good texture and somehow makes it feel a little more healthy even if it isn't.


Whoops! I didn't manage to photograph this one before it was tucked into. Bon Appetit!




3 comments:

  1. Apple crumble is our very favourite dessert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making my stomach rumble! I love oats in a crumble, gives it more texture and flavour.

    ReplyDelete